Friday, December 23, 2016

Piers Sellers (1955-2016)

Piers Sellers has died. Though not unexpected, unfortunately. Sellers was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer in October 2015. 

From Charles Bolden, NASA's administrator said this of the three-time (STS-112/Atlantis, STS-121/Discovery and STS-132/Atlantis) Shuttle astronaut:

"Piers devoted his life to saving the planet. As a climate scientist, his work in computer modeling of the climate system, satellite remote sensing studies and field work using aircraft, satellites and ground teams broke new ground in our understanding of Earth’s systems. His legacy will be one not only of urgency that the climate is warming but also of hope that we can yet improve humanity’s stewardship of this planet. His cancer diagnosis became a catalyst for him to work even harder on efforts to save the planet from global warming for the benefit of future generations."

In January, Sellers had this to say in a New York Times editorial:

"After handling the immediate business associated with the medical news — informing family, friends, work; tidying up some finances; putting out stacks of unread New York Times Book Reviews to recycle; and throwing a large “Limited Edition” holiday party, complete with butlers, I had some time to sit at my kitchen table and draw up the bucket list.

"Very quickly, I found out that I had no desire to jostle with wealthy tourists on Mount Everest, or fight for some yardage on a beautiful and exclusive beach, or all those other things one toys with on a boring January afternoon. Instead, I concluded that all I really wanted to do was spend more time with the people I know and love, and get back to my office as quickly as possible.
...

"As for me, I’ve no complaints. I’m very grateful for the experiences I’ve had on this planet. As an astronaut I spacewalked 220 miles above the Earth. Floating alongside the International Space Station, I watched hurricanes cartwheel across oceans, the Amazon snake its way to the sea through a brilliant green carpet of forest, and gigantic nighttime thunderstorms flash and flare for hundreds of miles along the Equator. From this God’s-eye-view, I saw how fragile and infinitely precious the Earth is. I’m hopeful for its future.

"And so, I’m going to work tomorrow."

Sellers was a guest - not an attendee - at the April 2012 ceremony where shuttle Discovery was transferred to the Smithsonian and Enterprise was moved out.

Most of the astronauts headed back to the museum along a "cattle chute," so it was relatively easy to call out their names in hopes of getting an autograph: "Mr. Sellers, Mr. Sellers, a moment please, to sign our books."

He did so, and with amazement, asked, "How did you know my name?" as he was wearing a business suit, not the blue NASA flightsuit.

"Um, you're wearing a name tag, sir," I pointed out.

The Discovery transfer ceremony, incidentally, my only time meeting Sellers, was the only time I met John Glenn. I might have had a chance to meet Sellers earlier, when the STS-132 crew did a meet-and-greet in 2010, including a stop in Georgetown, Maryland, but I opted instead to again see Garrett Reisman (who also was on STS-132), who did a presentation of a flown item to a Brooklyn eatery owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment